LING2048 Language and Cognition
Dr. Heeju Hwang
Advanced Course. Sem 1, 6 credits
This course examines various issues regarding cognition and language. Topics to be covered are:
- How is language processed and represented in the mind and the brain?
- Commonalities and particularities of cognitive and neuro-cognitive processing of different languages (e.g., English and Chinese).
- First and second language learning. What are the critical factors that facilitate language learning?
- The Chinese language and the brain; language and reading disorders.
- Applied cognitive psychology of language. Headline designs for newspaper, TV program, and advertisement. Cognitive basis of persuasion.
LING1000 and LING2034
- Reference book
“Psychology of language” by David W. Carroll (Belmont, Calif. : Wadsworth/Thomson Learning)
- Reading materials will be distributed by the lecturer.
Course Timeslots (1)